We are working under an Authority titled, “Punjab Daanish Schools and Centres of Excellence Authority”, established by the Government of Punjab, through an Act passed by the legislature in February 2010. The Act clearly defines the functions of the Authority and particularly the criteria for admission to Punjab Daanish Schools, which is based solely on merit, determining poverty and income strata levels. These residential schools are totally gratis for the marginalized segment of the society for the girls and boys of the community, who have talent but were unable to continue their education, due to lack of opportunities and financial constraints. A 10% quota has also been reserved for self-finance students. Likewise, a special quota has been reserved for the Federating Units and students from each Province is allocated seats after the entry test is cleared, antecedent verification conducted by their local administration and the medical tests done.
At present we have 16 campuses;
- Daanish School, Rahim Yar Khan, Boys Campus
- Daanish School Rahim Yar Khan, Girls Campus
- Daanish School, Hasilpur, Boys Campus
- Daanish School, Hasilpur, Girls Campus
- Daanish School, Chistian, Boys Campus
- Daanish School, Chistian, Girls Campus
- Daanish School, Mianwali, Boys Campus
- Daanish School, Mianwali, Girls Campus
- Daanish School, DG Khan, Boys Campus
- Daanish School, DG Khan, Girls Campus
- Daanish School, Rajanpur, Boys Campus
- Daanish School, Rajanpur, Girls Campus
- Daanish School, Attock, Boys Campus
- Daanish School, Attock, Girls Campus
- Daanish School, Vehari, Boys Campus
- Daanish School, Vehari, Girls Campus
Seeing the success of Punjab Daanish Schools the government of Punjab announced 11 Government Schools as Centres of Excellence. The aim of these schools is to imbibe the academic excellence, culture, and afford a competitive environment on the same parameters as the Daanish Schools. PDS&CEA is committed to providing free quality education by up gradation of existing government schools, in order to provide a conducive environment for physical as well as mental growth of students, to allow students to grow in such a way as would ultimately contribute to the nation’s progress.
Schools operational under the PDS&CEA are:
- Boys High School No. 1, DG Khan.
- Girls Central Model High School, DG Khan.
- Boys High School, Muzaffargarh.
- Girls High & Normal School, Muzaffargarh.
- Boys Higher Secondary School, Jaranwala.
- Girls Higher Secondary School No. 1, Hafizabad.
- Pilot Higher Secondary School (Boys), Sialkot.
- Lady Anderson Higher Secondary School, Sialkot.
- Boys High School, Rojhan, District Rajanpur.
- Girls High School, Rojhan, District Rajanpur.
- Boys High School, Nankana Sahib.
Growth of Daanish Schools and Centres of Excellence
Nothing succeeds like success, and the demand for increase in number of Daanish Schools in all deprived regions of the province is growing by the day. Beginning with six schools (Rahim Yar Khan, Chishtian, Hasilpur) South of River Sutlej in 2010, the second ‘batch’ of eight schools mushroomed in Attock, Mianwali, DG Khan and Rajanpur, bringing the tally to fourteen. New Daanish schools are being constructed at Mailsi (District Vehari), Mankera (District Bhakkar) and Taunsa (District DG Khan). By 2018, there will be 22 full-time residential institutions functioning under the Daanish Authority. With the kind of classic traditional residential public schooling being offered at these schools, we are certain that the neglected children of these area will return to their family to change not only their economic status but also their larger social culture.
Likewise, the following Centres of Excellence have been approved, funds have been allocated. Construction work is in progress in Chakwal, Peer Mehal and Tandlianwala.
Largest Female Residential Schooling
The female residential institutions in the country are few and far between. This is reflective of socio-cultural taboos and encumbrances inhering even among the elite class but especially so among the middle and poor classes. It is a manifest testimony to the trust reposed by lower classes in Daanish project as well as its secure environment and 'controlled' socio-cultural ambience that no less than 4550 girls study at seven Daanish schools, the highest number of resident female students under the umbrella of any institution in the country. In fact, the pro-poor Daanish initiative ensured from the very beginning that opportunities and facilities are spread not only to ensure educational parity across social classes but are also equitably distributed across gender. Thus, at all locations Daanish schools exist in pairs, with boys and girls campuses contiguous to each other. The idea is that the gender parity in the number of students as well as schools will not only contribute to women empowerment and gender equality but also pave way for transformation in the obscurantist mindsets regarding girls’ education and their independent future.
- To focus on the poorest sections of the society to spur upward social mobility & address poverty alleviation.
- To ensure that talent, whatever its background, does not go unrewarded by providing the poor gifted children the fullest possibilities of realizing their potential.
- To provide free quality education in a conducive environment through standard teaching and provision all necessary training aids.
- To ensure maximum accessibility by taking education to the doorstep of the needy through establishing educational enterprises in the least developed areas of Punjab.
- To cater for basic life provisions (like messing, lodging, clothing) to offer the poor gifted children the fruition of their promise without wearing encumbrances.
- To create maximum possibilities of success for the noble venture through fostering public-private participation in establishing the governing bodies for each school.
- Academic excellence leading to economic maturity.
- Co-curricular involvement for all-round development of alumni.
- Employment of sports to build physical health and positive personality traits.
- Wider awareness to inculcate moderation.
- Institutional code of conduct to craft disciplined and morally sound personalities.
- Positive attitudes and refined etiquette to build responsible citizenry
Traditional Residential Public Schooling
Here at Daanish, we endeavour to emulate the age-old conventions and traditions that have been the hallmark of all successful residential institutions for the past two centuries. True public schooling is about transforming the whole person of the student. Therefore, our avowed aim is to effect wholesome grooming that will create refined, upright and honourable individuals, imbued with personalities that are able to lead balanced lives through moderation and amenability to reason. We believe that this will make our alumni equal their best contemporaries. The ‘sacrosanct’ routine in a residential public school defines the spirit and the philosophy of the institution. Developing progressive leanings, egalitarianism, comradeship and value-driven conduct define our purpose. Students, we trust, are supposed to be self-possessed, well-spoken and well-turned out. They ‘develop’ by imitating the faculty and our emphasis has been the constant guidance of our teachers, especially the house staff. We hope that together the school community shall cultivate individuals who will form a part of cultured citizenry in the country.
Daanish schools cater for basic life provisions to offer the poor gifted children the fruition of their promise without wearing encumbrances. A broad array of facilities provided at the purpose-built residential campuses include the following:-
- State-of-the-art school facilities, including halls, labs, libraries, dining halls, MI rooms, playfields.
- Free quality education and best educational paraphernalia, including smart boards, IT equipment, free stationery.
- Free residential facility, including well-furnished dormitories.
- Free messing at the Dining Halls.
- Free clothing, including uniform, casual wear & other clothing items, including sports kit.
- Sporting facilities, including grounds/courts, free sports equipment and availability of professional coaches.
- Provision for extensive co-curricular engagements, including free educational visits.
- Security arrangements, 24-hour electricity, including provision of generators, internal cooking facility and laundry system.