Centre of Excellence Govt. Girls Normal High School, Muzaffargarh was established in 1870 as a primary school by British Government. Later on it was upgraded as middle and high school in 1935 and 1938 respectively. Total area of school is 31 kanals & 10 Marlas. The school has historical place in the city of Muzaffargarh with an academic history spanning over 148 years. In 2010 after promulgation of the PDS & CEA Act, the school being one of the important institutions was nominated to be converted into Centre of Excellence on the approval of Competent Authority and named Centre of Excellence Govt. Girls Normal High School, Muzaffargarh under the umbrella of PDS & CEA.
The construction of the new building commenced in 2010 and was completed in 2014 at the cost of Rs. 127.00 Million. The school has 32 x class rooms, 5 x laboratories, a library and 3 x play grounds. For a competitive environment and uniform evaluation and in order to improve administration further, an additional academic/non academic staff including Assistant Admin Officer has been provided to the school.
Ms. Fozia Nishat took charge as Principal in 2010. However, Ms. Riffat Shahid assumed charge as Principal COE (Girls) Muzaffargarh, on 13 July 2015. School Council was converted into Governing Body comprising of 10 members. School staff consists of total 74 faculty members (56 academic and 18 non academic staff). Currently the students’ strength is 1,824 having eleven academic levels, from grade Nursery to Matric.